AKF/AGF Industrie BV constructs and manufactures injection moulds in house. We do so for the purpose of internal use in our own injection moulding department or for external supply to mould customers, who have injection moulding done elsewhere.
The typical lead-time of injection moulds vary, basically ranging from approximately 6 weeks up to as much as 20 weeks. The construction and manufacturing of injection moulds is a typical job-shop organization where the various processing steps follow each other. This work sequence is more or less of a fixed nature. As a result, the construction and manufacturing of injection moulds require a certain lead time, resulting in a delivery time. Because of the fact that the individual operations follow each other sequentially, a shorter construction time is very restricted.
Complex geometry determines costs
In injection moulding the applied pressures reach extremely high levels and as such mouldmaking is a precision operation. In the area of the parting lines, dimensional tolerances are less than 0.03 mm. If the product has a complex geometry there is a need for several precision operations. This primarily determines the costs of an injection mold which should be judged as captial investments.
To build injection moulds AKF/AGF Industrie BV uses a modern and fully equipped machinery park for metalworking. We constantly strive at keeping this machine park up-to-date.
The passage of mold construction
We will provide a description of the typical organisation of the construction of an injection mould and at the same time we will provide our machine capability list (tooling department).
- Construction: constructing, by 3D modelling, the injection mould, including working models and difital files.
Equipment: 3D CAD software (SolidWorks).
- 3D CAM Programming: (digital) generation of 3D milling and processing files and the conversion of these files into machine programs (codes).
Equipment: 3D CAM software (Hyper Mill), postprocessing software (Hypermill => Heidenhain).
- Milling: 3- and 5-axis conventional and CNC (Computer Numeric Controlled) milling machines for machining of the moulds, mould cavities and mould components.
Equipment: 3-axis milling machine (Mikron), 5-axis machining center (Hermle), 5-axis machining center (Deckel Maho)
- Turning: turning and lathing of mould components
Equipment: conventional lathe (Cazeneuve) and CNC lathe (Viktor)
- EDM (spark erosion): by means of CNC spark erosion (Electric Discharge Machining) of mould components.
Equipment: 3-axis CNC EDM linear axis driven (Sodick)
- Addional machining operations: further (conventional) machining of moulds and mould components
Equipment: drills, grinders (Chevalier), saws, hand tools
- Assembly and finishing: the final, mostly manual, finishing and assembly of various mould components to create a fully functional and operational injection mould.
Toolmaking AKF/AGF Industrie BV